Re: LSB wrapper library

On Tue, Apr 03, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Matt Wilson <msw@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 05:02:51PM +0200, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> > >
> > > It will not work if one library is linked against a newer ld-linux.so.2
> > > than ld-lsb.so.2 is. In this case, we could get unresolvable symbols
> > > since the symbol version in ld-linux.so.2 is higher.
> >
> > However, the only library that is actually linked against
> > ld-linux.so.2 is /lib/libc.so.6.  Distributions will just need to make
> > a modified glibc for lsb if the need arises.
>
> Please check the facts.  Each shared lib is linked against
> ld-linux.so.2:

This is not the problem. Even if we can filter out ld-linux.so.2,
it must not work.
Assume:
/lib/ld-lsb.so.1 is from glibc 2.2.2
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 is from glibc 2.X.Y (2.X.Y > 2.2.2)

Now, which libc.so.6 will you use ?
/lib/lsb/libc.so.6 ? What happens if libreadline is compiled against
                     glibc 2.X.Y and uses newer versions of functions ?
/lib/libc.so.6 ? This will not work, since /lib/ld-lsb.so.1 is to old for
                 for /lib/libc.so.6.

So, the only solution is to recompile and link libreadline against
glibc 2.2.2/ld-lsb.so.1 in this example -> we need to do this with
every LSB library.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg