Re: Wake Up and Smell the Coffee It's Not 1970!

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Steve Schveighoffer wrote:

> Michael Stone wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 10:22:58PM +0200, delau wrote:
> > > How about dedicated servers? It would be nice if I could select "LSB Core"
> > > and "Bind" for a dedicated DNS server. I wouldn't need X or any other GUI
> > > for that, do I? And because I installed a LSB compliant system, I should be
> > > able to add another package to add functionality (a FTP server to load my
> > > zone files for example).
> >
> > Why does there need to be a specification for dns servers? For an
> > application that simple, I'm not sure that LSB is relevant. To date, LSB
> > has concentrated on desktop applications--because that's where the
> > problems are.
>
> Yeah, but don't DNS servers need to have the correct version of libc?
> Don't DNS server developers want to avoid porting to different linux
> systems?  Wouldn't DNS developers want a proven packaging method to
> install on "LSB compliant" systems?  The same argument for having an LSB
> exists for every application developed by a third party, not just GUI
> apps.

Good point. But on the other hand. Someone installing a DNS server is more
likely to known about the issues involved then someone installing
wordperfect v15.9 on his/hers home PC.

Start with the biggest target in a flexible way and attend to the
different levels as soon as the first useable standard for 'mainstream
applications' is finished.

Hugo.

hvdkooij@caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Use of any of my email addresses for unsollicited (commercial)
    email is a clear intrusion of my privacy and illegal!