Re: layered specification

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 09:06:34PM +0100, dumas patrice wrote:
> A layered specification permits to handle special cases for example little
> distributions, or distribution that want to customize high level (such as
> x windows or, in the future, desktop or window manager level). In my
> opinion, there are other interesting things  in that approach, it is
> conceptually better and permits a layered work (although I think it is
> allready done in practice).

Your choice of words reminds me of the core/layers project that seul
started long long ago. (It was one of the projects which spurred people
to merge all the related projects into the LSB.)
Pages are still up, at http://www.seul.org/dev/distrib/core/
You're all free to take any and all of our text or lists, and do whatever
you like with them if they're useful.

But that said, I agree with hpa -- you need to focus on the core itself,
and ignore the layers until you have a core that everybody likes. Producing
an actual document that (at least major) distributions will respect and use
is crucial to having people continue to take the lsb seriously.

--Roger