Re: File Systems.

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl wrote:

> > Relocateable packages are one, a statement from the KDE developers saying that
> > "KDE belongs in /opt" or "KDE belongs in /usr" would be another.
>
> The KDE tradition was to package the lot in /opt/kde long before Red Hat
> started to package it. As one of the package builders at the time I should
> know ;-)

I know that, but when we had the chocie between "follow FSSTND/FHS" and
"follow KDE tradition when KDE developers told us they didn't care", we
opted for the former. By our reading, the current FHS/FSSTND doesn't give
OS vendors the option of choosing /opt.

There are also issues like existing customers tend to have small /
partitions and no /opt, and woulnd't have been able to install KDE without
symlink mucking as well. Making sure that folks can easily upgrade to LSB
distributions from current ones should be a priorty, and it argues against
/opt (unless you think ln -s /usr/opt /opt is a good idea, which I think is
just a hack).

Erik

|            "Who is John Galt?" - Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand		      |
|  Linux Application Development  --  http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad   |