Re: File Systems.

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 mats.loman@home.se wrote:

> Example: The package super-database contains 6 binary executables used
> to mantail the super-database. The operator tries to find out which
> executables it is and does ls /usr/bin and get a list of 1417 files.
> How easy is it to find out which?

Welcome to the amazing technology that is a package manager.  :-)  If we
are using RPM (or whatever the RPM/deb hybrid is), we can query the
package database to get a listing of all the files in the package.

'rpm -ql super-database' would work on a RPM-based system, and would
output a file listing.

Enjoy,
J.

| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer         | "You only have power over people as long  |
| Network Systems Management |  as you don't take everything away from   |
| Sprint Communications      |  them.  But when you've robbed a man      |
o----------------------------|  of everything he's no longer in your     |
                             |  power -- he's free again."               |
                             |  -- Alexander Solzhenitsyn                |