Re: File Systems.

Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl wrote:

> The simple technical answer is that Linux is the kernel. Nothing more.
> Nothing less. What the people generally call Linux can be just about
> anything. (Like journalist calling any OS a program because they don't
> understand or expect their audience not to understand it.)
>
> Before old flamewars are repeated it might be worthwile to study the
> archives around because this war has been fought and the casulties are
> still not counted. I don't think one can point out a winner.

Well, in effect it, it doesn't matter what the answer is, what matters
is how LSB implements it's structure.  If one says Linux is just the
kernel, then the LSB is the Standard Base components on top of that
kernel that make the system useful.  That works for me.

If one says Linux is a system, that means a lot more than a kernel, LSB
still has to standardize that system.  So, it's irrelevant.  Beginning
that debate leads to an argument, and in the end, LSB still has to
define a "Standard Base."  So, I don't know if it's worth wasting the
time discussing what Linux really is, since it's the base system that
LSB is working on.

Anyway, IMHO, Linux is a term that Linus has rights to, therefore, Red
Hat, Caldera, etc.. all sell "a package" of software including a Linux
kernel that works.  As unpopular as it is to demote the to a value added
resaler, that's what all they are.  Legally, they can't sell Linux.
They don't sell Linux.  They sell the "package" that includes the media
(CD's), books and documentation, and support.  They do this because it's
technically not legal to sell "Linux."  And that's just fine, because
the quality of their packaging and integration, and the documentation,
media, and support more than justify the prices they charge.  They are
among the highest, best structured, best working "packagers of software"
in the software industry.  I don't think it's showing any disrespect to
say "they don't sell Linux, they sell a package that contains Linux and
a wide variety of useful software."

But, that's all outside of what the goal of the LSB project.  The goal
of the LSB is to make it easier for anyone (commercial or open source)
to write and distribute more software that works more readily on a Linux
Standard Base system.  If anyone want's to define what the word "Linux"
is, let it be Linus himself.  The LSB is about defining what a Linux
Standard Base is, regardless of if the "base" is more than what Linux
itself is (meaning more than just a kernel), or if it means that the
"base" is less than a full blown "Linux System" including all the
software (because, LSB is just about the "base" of that system).

So, defining Linux is a waste of time.  Defining a "base" is the goal
here.

--
+---- CurrenTEK --- http://www.currentek.com ----+
|     "Robert W Current" <rob@currentek.com>     |