Re: Why X is needed (was: Re: Wake Up and Smell the Coffee It's Not 1970! (or is it?))

"Robert W. Current Jr. Ph.D." <current@hel-inc.com> writes:

> On 16 Mar 2000, Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo wrote:
>
> > We require these basic X libraries because ISV's want to sell
> > graphical apps.
>
> Which means, a system could comply to the LSB, a ISV could sell software
> to a user running a LSB compliant system, and then the user can't really
> use the software becuase they only have the X libs.

Not true. Look at Emacs (not really an ISV selling software example,
but...). On my sytem, Emacs is linked against ncurses and Xt. If I run
it on a console, it uses ncurses and works fine. But, if I add an X
server to the system and run Emacs under X, it has its own frame and
uses Xt for all of its I/O.

> By saying X isn't required, but the libs are, the whole point of making
> the libraries part of the standard is totally lost.

Again, not true. In the case of (for example) a graphical
configuration tool for a server program, I don't want to run an X
server on my server. In fact, my server is in a rack without a monitor
or keyboard attached to it. But, it has the X libraries installed, and
I am running an X server on my workstation. I can use the GUI
configuration tool remotely while the server only has the base X
libraries installed.

--
Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo - jkaivo@ndn.net - http://jakob.kaivo.net/