Re: RFC

* Michael Stone <mstone@cs.loyola.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 07:29:23AM -0500, Robert W. Current, Ph.D. wrote:
> > http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/lsb-spec-0002/msg00015.html
> >
> > I strongly disagree with this (maybe it's too much BSD in my blood).
> >
> > I don't think that /etc/* should contain _all_ of anything.
> > /usr/local/etc/ should contain most of the stuff, and have init levels
> > been definded yet at all?  They need to be.  Using RHS ones (which I'm
> > not sure I agree with) I would say:
>
> Are you trying to create a linux software base or a BSD software base?
> This is a fundamental philosophical difference,

The Linux philosophy is to not have a base OS at all. So, to follow that
philosophy don't create (or talk about) a Linux Standard Base.

OK, this is not an explicit philosophy, it is a historical blind spot in
Linux.

> and any attempt to create a LSB that does not reflect that difference
> will only mean that the LSB will be ignored. If you want a BSD system,
> run a BSD system.

To start over, one could define a base OS which goes in /usr, /etc/,
/lib, preserve /usr/local for the local admin and declare /opt as
hierarchy for optional distribution-packages which are not part of the
base OS. This could follow the traditional /opt/<package-name> approach
for large and isolated packages and do the same thing as in BSD's
/usr/local for "normal" packages, just in /opt instead.

This way the LSB could define what has to be in the base-system in which
places, while not stepping on the distributors toes. After all, /opt is
for "optional packages". Right now nothing in Linux is an optional
package, since everything on a distribution CD is "part of the OS", so
/opt is quite silly as it is used (or better: unused) in Linux now.

Having /usr growing endlessly while installing packages from the
distribution CD is a nightmare in Linux, especially if you try to
specify something. BSD-folks are laughing loud at this since years and
they're right.

        Jochem