RE: Modules Standard, extended to kernel code

To add in my 2 cents, specifically is there a standard planned or in the
works
for loadable or statically linked in kernel drivers and subsystems? I'm new
here
but come from a System 5/SVR4 background where there was a DDI/DKI standard
for
drivers that defined a set of kernel interfaces that a driver writer could
assume
was always going to be there in a kernel, with the same semantics across
different
architectures. This permitted VARs with kernel components in their
applications
to code their drivers and subsystems once and not have to recode for each
release.

Linux has application standards moving ahead for LSB, but I'm told that
there is
no such plan for a kernel driver/subsystem/module standard in LSB, and this
seems
contradictory. Here at Intel we ran into an issue with a driver that is
produced
by an Intel group being useful for only one release of a distribution (i.e.
Red
Hat 6.2) but could not be used with the previous point release (6.1) due to
module
versioning. I can't say for sure that there weren't internal kernel changes
that
make this necessary, but it calls out for a driver/subsystem/module standard
that
would at least allow a driver to work between point releases, as well as
possibly
extending compatibility to multiple vendor distributions running the same
kernel
major/minor version.

Seems that if Linux is to capture more applications, part of this will have
include applications with kernel code in them. To not extend LSB to include
this
seems like an obvious mistake. Are their plans for this type of standard, or
could
there be?