Re: Comments on GNOME Foundation?

Hi everybody,

I agree with this - however the reality is that appart the problem of
file hierarchy and package format, there are Linux distributions on
which you simply cannot install a Gnome package until you install all
the Gnome base packages. It's the same for KDE but you will find KDE
on most Linux distros. That's the reason why with Mandrake for example
you will be installed KDE + Gnome by default most times (among other

>From the beginning I've understood that LSB was graphical-desktop
independant which means that Gnome or KDE are not in the scope.
However I personnally think that this is a huge issue because modern
applications require graphical libs to run. Under Linux there is no
default high-level API for graphics programming [X11/Xlib is lowlevel
and who would program a big app with the native X11 calls?]: basically
you have the choice among KDE-libs, Gnome-libs and LessTiff.

LSB can't make a choice between those environments, especially between
KDE and Gnome for the reasons that everybody will understand here.
Nevertheless I *do* think that LSB should consider this graphics
environment problem because modern OSes are much used through a
graphical screen and a mouse pointer.

So why wouldn't LSB decide that Linux has *two* default graphical
interfaces: Gnome AND KDE?