Re: Package name separators

Circa 2000-Jul-25 09:22:23 -0300 dixit Guilherme Manika:

: On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 04:08:02AM -0400, Jim Knoble wrote:
: > Programs that deal with package specifications (name-version-release)
: > directly pretty much do what the following awk scriptlet describes:

  [snip...]

:   Maybe programs do this kind of thing, but they really shouldn't. A RPM may
:   have any name it wishes, and %{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm
:   is simply the default. Packages may be renamed after generated, or
:   you could redefine your system's %_rpmfilename macro to something
:   else.

Hmm.  I don't recall mentioning a filename anywhere.  The words i used
were 'package specifications', which i defined as
filenames can be dangerous ...

:   Relying on the file name is wrong.

... but i believe the original question was "Why not use underscores to
separate elements?  Using hyphens is {annoying|difficult} to process
automatically."  I simply pointed out that it wasn't particularly
difficult.

--
jim knoble | jmknoble@jmknoble.cx | http://www.jmknoble.cx/