Re: [li18nux:517] PROPOSAL: licensing guidelines

Dan

Just to make it clear Open Motif is NOT under an Open Source license.
We do not claim this and  make this very clear in our FAQ, see
http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/faq.html

I include some of the pertinent parts of the FAQ below:

regards

Andrew

QUESTION:

    How does the Open Group Public license relate to other licenses?

ANSWER:

    The Open Group Public License for Motif closely follows the IBM Public
    License Version 1.0 , with an addition of the restriction (in clause
    2) regarding the applicability only to Open Source operating systems.

QUESTION:

    Does the Open Group Public License for Motif meet the Open Source
    Guidelines?

ANSWER:

    No. The Open Group Public License for Motif grants rights only to use
    the software on or with operating systems that are themselves Open
    Source programs. In restricting the applicability of the license to
    Open Source platforms this does not meet term 8 of the Open Software
    Definition (http://www.opensource.org/osd.html).

QUESTION:

    Will Motif be made Open Source in the future?

ANSWER:

    Yes, we hope to be able to make a distribution under a license
    complying with the Open Source guidelines sometime in the future. For
    now this is as close as to Open Source as we could get.

QUESTION:

    Why does The Open Group define the term "Open Source" in the license
    when the definition exists at http://www.opensource.org ?

ANSWER:

    Our lawyers required us to do this. The intent for the definition
    is to be inline with the Open Source Definition Version 1.7 (see
    http://www.opensource.org/osd.html). An alternate way of reading
    that paragraph is:

       "Open Source" programs mean any software which meets the criteria
       of the Open Source Definition Version 1.7 as published by the
       Open Source Initiative (OSI) at www.opensource.org

QUESTION:

    How does The Open Group define the term "Operating System" Does this
    apply to the kernel or the complete distribution?

ANSWER:

    The Open Group's intent is that this applies only to the kernel
    of the operating system, without regard to any bundled utilities
    or application software. This includes all known distributions of
    Linux and BSD distributions.