Re: #! -- reconsideration?

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Mark Kettenis wrote:

> I don't like a hardcoded path under /usr either, the primary reason
> being that the Hurd (you known, the GNU "kernel") won't have /usr.
> I've been told that in the past /usr was introduced in UNIX only
> because all utilities didn't fit on one disk anymore.  Nowadays, there
> are much more elegant methods to solve that problem, and /usr just
> means another entry in the root directory.  It would be a pity if we
> needed /usr just to be POSIX conformant.

If I understand the rationale of /usr then the whole /usr tree may be
mounted from another server and not be available at the time you need to
runs a shell script.

Should that be the case then any path under /usr would be out of the
question.

Hugo.

hvdkooij@caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Quoting this tagline is illegal! (http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html)