Re: Version & Distribution identification

Hi,

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 gk4@us.ibm.com wrote:
>
> > If /etc/*-release is going to become a trend, then perhaps we should
> > consider placing them in a subdirectory called /etc/release/
>
> Not sure why a subdir would be needed, since each distro has only one
> file of this type currently and I can't see it growing much. If a
> distro contains more than one such file (ie, /etc/turbolinux-release
> *and* /etc/redhat-release) that would be IMO a bit scary.
>
> As has been suggested, a standard file, perhaps named
> /etc/linux-release, using a standard format,should be defined so that
> it may be used by any app that wanted to query the system for its
> distro and release info.

I guess naming it "linux-release" could be confused with the version
number of the linux kernel. What about /etc/distribution-release ?

Some fields that could be part of this file:

VENDOR : the Linux Distributor, e.g. Caldera, Debian, Red Hat, SuSE,
         Turbo Linux, etc.
NAME:    the distribution name (e.g. TurboCluster Server, OpenLinux
         eServer, SuSE IMAP Server)
VERSION: the distribution version
ARCH:    the hardware architecture, e.g. i386, alpha, PPC (not sure, if
         this is useful)

> Therefore any compliant distro would have at least /etc/linux-release
> (and optionally /etc/[distro]-release for backwards compatibility).

Sounds reasonable.

> > We should standardized the internal format of the file ie., (name colon
> > value) and/or an API to the data.
>
> Yes.

Would a plain ASCII file serve the purpose?

> > > About the first question: what about /etc/FHS-Release? This could be part
> > > of the LSB-compatibility package.
>
> If the format is extensible this could be added on later if desired.
> It's probably not useful for too many release numbers since so much
> release info for specific components is already contained within the
> packing system. No need to re-invent that wheel.

Agreed. Querying the package database for the release number of the lsb
package should serve the purpose.

Bye,
	LenZ
 Lenz Grimmer                                           SuSE GmbH
 mailto:grimmer@suse.de                       Schanzaeckerstr. 10
 http://www.suse.de/~grimmer             90443 Nuernberg, Germany