Re: Spam on lsb lists

> > Redhat had a dummy list (with no traffic), which one could subscribe
> > with all used addresses and all subscribers to that list could post to
> > all other lists then. This is a quite reasonable way to do this.
>
> I really like that.  It's a lovely compromise.  Basically, you have to
> pre-register your address, but not subscribe.

That was my idea.  It was easy with SmartList...which looks like what
Debian uses.

SmartList can be restricted to use its distribution list and an "accept"
list.  I forget the gory details, but it was trivial to patch it to also
check for an accept2 list (or any other name, really) as well.  Then
create a list called "post-only".  Symlink the distribution of post-only
to the accept2 file in each of your lists.  Do *not* create the
post-only@foo.com alias, only the post-only-request@foo.com.  Then no
one can post, but anyone can subscribe and unsubscribe.

So, you just subscribe all your email addresses to post-only and you can
then post to any list at that site.  Spammers won't go to the trouble to
subscribe, and if you use subscription confirmations on that list they
really can't (not without being trackable, anyway).

I've bcc'ed listmaster@lists.linuxbase.org this message.

--Donnie

--
  Donnie Barnes    http://www.donniebarnes.com    djb@redhat.com    "Bah."
   Challenge Diversity.  Ignore People.  Live Life.  Use Linux.  879. V.