Re: My ideas on LSB

   Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:49:07 -0500 (EST)
   From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@starnix.com>

   > The current plans of the LSB is to provide a standard package format
   > (currently RPM), and a standard command-line installation tool which can
   > be executed by the user to install an LSB application.

   Will the LSB tighten the RPM spec so that we don't have the kind of
   compatibility problems we have now (ie, a Red Hat RPM won't necessarily be
   installable on a Caldera system, a SuSE RPM won't install on Turbo, etc.)?
   I've seen significant developer frustration over this one.

Yes, that's done in two ways.  One is by restricting what an
LSB-compliant application is allowed to assume will be available in is
environment, and the other is in requiring distributions to provide
libraries, et. al. for which it will be safe for an LSB-complaint
application to depend upon.

But yes, you're right; this is an important problem, and one we have to
deal with.  Fortunately, we know that we have to deal with this.  :-)

						-Ted