Re: RFC

* Robert W. Current (rob@entropy.current.nu) [000315 08:03]:

> It's the definition of what "base" means that I am arguing.  Base should
> not mean "the few things we can find in common" but insted, a "small
> subset that is considered the OS itself, a small set of standard tools,
> and a outline of the structure to be built on."

If one defines the LSB standard as encompassing only the minimum of what is
required for Linux to be a usable OS, that misses one of LSB's important
goals: To make it possible for all major applications to run on all
LSB-compliant distributions of Linux.  This isn't an academic exercise - it
is a very pragmatic approach to solving the business problems of having
divergent distributions.

-Nick

Nicholas Petreley                   LinuxWorld - InfoWorld
nicholas@petreley.com - http://www.petreley.com - Eph 6:12
.