RE: system calls, like uname

I agree.  I think this is clearly a case where a standard would
be very helpful.  There are several benefits to having this kind
of information readily available via a standard mechanism and
in a standard format.

If nothing else, it would make cross-platform development (meaning
for Linux on different architectures) a bit easier.  Given Linux's
immense potential in this area, this sort of information gathering
should be made easier.

Lou