Re: system calls, like uname

This is a useful idea, but the LSB doesn't have the capacity to drive
it's development. We'd probably be glad to work with someone who does have
the time to develop it, and make comments that will help ensure that it can
be easily added to the LSB.

We have a prefereed order of how we adopt things. Using something that exists
is at the top of the list, and having to develop something is at the bottom,
and is only an approach when there is a serious problem with no other
solution. Even this approach ends up being we discuss it, and someone goes off
and works on an implementation that would then elevate it so we could adopt
something that exists.

As to this suggestion in particular, I'd suggest creating a library interface
for providing the kind of information you are after. Details like a new
system call or accessing /proc would then be hidden behind the libraries
interface and becomes just an implementation detail. Wether /proc is text
or binary based is irrelevent to an application which is using the libraries
interfaces. The underlying implementation of /proc or a system call can even
change as the kernel changes, but the library will handle the changes, and
continue to present the same API to the application.

The API should be general enough to allow new features/attributes to be added
without having to change the API.

Ideally, 3 things would happen in parallel:

	1) A specification of the API is written. This could be very similar
	   to a collection of man pages. This needs to be very complete.

	2) An implementation of the API is developed to match the
	   specification.

	3) A Test suite is developed based on the written specification. This
	   can then be run against the implementation.