Re: LSB Commands and Utilities, Draft proposal

Your approach is very similar to how we are working on things. We have not yet
addressed different levels of compilance though.

> If it were up to me (which it is NOT), I would divide the LSB into logical
> categories of compliance...
>
> Core Libraries - this category includes the base libraries needed to run
>
> Filesystem - this category would contain the FHS (or whatever it's called
>
> Extension Libraries - this category would include those libraries which are
>
> Core utilities - applications such as bash, Perl, etc. which are not
>
> Administration utilities - this includes those utilities and their
>
> Extension utilities - other utilities commonly found in /bin, /usr/bin,
>
> Development libraries - not actually a seperate category, each of the
>
> These categories contents thus defined, I would then define levels of
> compliance within the LSB, which third-party applications could then
> visually require (in a Requirments sticker on the box, for example):
>
> Level 0 (Base): any distribution which is LSB-compliant must
>
> Level 1 (System): distributions which are Level 1 compliant must
>
> Level 2 (Administration): distributions which are Level 2 compliant must also

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
4711 North Powerline Road                        129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.938.0283                              voice: 803.951.3630
fax:   954.938.1982                              SkyTel: 800.405.3401
http://www.metrolink.com/