Re: Standardizing the install Package...

Mik,
        You do point out an area that could use some innovation. It would be
good to be able to have an installation tool that can process different
formats, including tar.gz, and maintain the registry or db properly.

        I'd like to clarify what is currently in the spec though. Thus far,
the LSBs approach is to specify the file format of the package (ie rpm-like),
and to simply state that a conforming distribution will have some tool
available that can process that file format. We are not specifying what the
interface to that tool is, or how it works. What you suggest is one possibile
implementation of that system.

        There is more than one good packaging system implementation out there
today. Presently, this is an area where distributions differentiate themselves.
Limiting the specification to the file format of the package meets the need of
having a common distribution format for applications, while not interfering
with a distribution's ability to innovate in the package management area.