Re: Initial LSB activities

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> Eric S Raymond <esr@snark.ccil.org> writes:
>
> > OK.  This is *not* the case with Python; it's been quite stable
> > across the last three releases, and the language design and standard
> > modules are sufficiently clean to justify an expectation that it
> > will remain so.
>
> I think the right solution is to avoid specifying anything about
> python, perl, and non-POSIX scripting langauges, except perhaps a
> naming scheme for the package (if we decide to specify such a thing in
> a future release of LSB).

It should also be pointed out that, although not in the standard, they
will certainly be available within distributions. Vendors whose packages
need features not supplied in the standard can get them using the
dependency mechanism. If you need the language to install the package use
a pre-depends, otherwise simple dependency should work fine.

Luck,

Dwarf