Is your gopher IPv6-enabled? Please check that it still works :)

Hello all,

Yesterday I looked at OGUP's activity and I noticed that it reported a lot of sites being "down", while in fact they are reachable.

The problem is that many gopher sites nowadays are exposed both with an IPv4 and IPv6 address and in many cases the IPv6 connectivity to the host was failing, while the host was still reachable over IPv4. Gopher admins often do not notice this because they themselves are not behind an IPv6 link, so they think that their gopher is okay.

I have mailed a few of you about this (and some of you fixed it by removing IPv6 - thanks!), but I cannot mail everyone. So - if your gopher is published under an AAAA record: please make sure it really works.

I think that it is better to have no IPv6 at all rather than flapping v6. The users don't care, and when their browser fails to connect to an IPv6-enabled site they just assume the host is down (and OGUP does the same).

cheers,

Mateusz
--
discuss gopher on the USENET: comp.infosystems.gopher
gopher://gopher.viste.fr/0/whyusenet.txt