Re: Gopher Desktop Client

I actually happen to agree with Ivan here. I've been following the "Gemini" space for a while, but have been "somewhat" involved with Gopher for way longer (and authored the only? Golang client/server library for Gopher).

Gemini for me just doesn't cut it. It _is_ an over-engineering solution looking for a problem IHMO. (I feel the same way about ActivityPub too btw :P)

Anyway, this thread went a bit side-ways, I originally asked if there was any interest in my continuing my Gopher Desktop Client -- A total of "one" doesn't make for "much interest" ;)

cheers
James

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 11:29 AM Ivan J. <parazyd@dyne.org> wrote:
On 12 March 2021 01:45:13 CET, Luke Emmet <luke@marmaladefoo.com> wrote:

>On 12-Mar-2021 00:24, Ivan J. wrote:
>>
>> For a start, you could also make it support Gopher over TLS ;)
>>
>Not sure if this is a facetious comment given the smiley above, but if
>you want Gopher + TLS, really Gemini should be what you're looking at
>IMO. I hope I haven't blasphemed by mentioning it on the gopher channel
>
>though ;)
>
>  - Luke

Gemini is not gopher. And no, my comment wasn't malevolent. I took the initiative and added Gopher over TLS to software used by millions of people. It works well.

IMHO, Gemini is just a Frankenstein protocol with no real usecase. You can either use HTTP or use Gopher. It goes against basic philosophy to invent something like Gemini.

Best regards,
Ivan