Re: Gopher over TLS

> > 2. advertising TLS through CAPS. First, a gopher client fetches the CAPS
> > (over plain text), and then it may switch to TLS queries if it sees TLS
> > being okay'ed in CAPS.
> >
> > Both of these solutions need no protocol change (incl. no change in
> > gophermaps).
[...]

>   The reason I didn't mention then is that I didn't even think of those
> solutions.  Just trying to find a definitive specification for the CAPS file
> has been challenging (and I've not found one yet).  Both of these ideas are
> much better than what's going on right now.

Since I'm largely responsible for CAPS files, there really isn't a spec
anywhere, though I do document keys in the default CAPS file for Bucktooth.
See gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/0/caps.txt ; I advertise a TLS port there.
I'm open to other suggestions for the key and value.

The other option I've seen, which I also think is rather worthy, is to make
Gopher-TLS links hURLs. This assumes that a TLS-enabled Gopher client would
understand hURLS, and I think that's a reasonable assumption to make.

-- "Endian Little Hate We" -- credits from Connectix Virtual PC 6 for Mac -----