Re: Gopher over TLS

Greetings comrades,

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 22:15:31 +0100 Emil Engler <me@emilengler.com> wrote:
> I think we should use a new port for the following reason:
> Some (mostly custom) servers which display just one static page mostly
> ignore the client hello completely or what is if the TLS handsahke in
> the client hello should give a page and not do a TLS handshake? Unlikely
> but not impossible. If we start over from a new port there won't be any
> problems with old servers. I think this protocol should be introduced as
> a new one which lays on top of the gopher protocol rather than changing
> the gopher protocol directly.

oh this old discussion again.

We have a  new situation. In Germany  there is now a  law, which forces
service providers  to give  out usernames  and passwords,  if officials
want it.

To protect gopher users in anything new, we need anonymity, no metadata
and encryption. This is where there is the gopher onion initiative:

	gopher://bitreich.org/1/onion

Please join it.

All other  TLS options have  been discussed.  The detection of  the TLS
handshake has been  implemented in many ways. Any new  port will not go
very far, due to missing adoption.

Please everyone setup onion gopherholes.

Sincerely yours,

Christoph Lohmann
Long-standing gopher TLS discussion veteran