Re: Gopher TLS support in curl

> > Geomyidae uses  a simple  probing, which can  be easily
> > implemented in
> > every server.
> >
> > 	if (recv(sock, &byte0, 1, MSG_PEEK) < )
> > 		return 1;
> >
> > 	if (byte0 == 0x16) {
> > 		do_tls();
> > 	}
>
> That is a FANTASTIC trick!  Actually it could be expanded to
> simply do plaintext for a non-TLS-capable client.  I personally
> would prefer that, if only because I still want to use UMN gopher
> client sometimes.  There is something about its lovely 90s feel...

I still don't understand how this can be protected against downgrade
attacks. A malicious MITM could simply ensure that the TLS trigger byte
was never communicated (race the packet, etc.) and both client and server
would then assume the connection isn't TLS.

Not a high risk, but if the end goal is security ...

-- The only thing to fear is fearlessness -- R. E. M. -------------------------