RE: Questions about URLs for Gopher search items

I’m going to switch my answers to follow what Solderpunk has been saying. The RFCs are pretty clear, as is the w3.org paper on URL parsing at http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/4_1_Gopher+.html

If you include a %09 in the URL, the gophertype needs to be  a ‘7’. Otherwise, everything past the %09 needs to be stripped from what the client sends.

Thanks to my Azure developer subscription, I’ve just written a small web-search program that looks for every web page (in the first 5000 results) from a Bing web (http) search for “gopher://”. I then grabbed each web page and looked for explicit gopher:// urls.

Results:

  1. Every single url that included a gopher type used either a 0 or 1 as the gophertype with the single exception of https://gopher.commons.host/ (and even there, the gopher:// stuff is in the embedded _javascript_).
  2. Not a single url included a %09

Obviously this isn’t a complete search (among other things, I’m not including any actual gopher content!). But it is telling that whatever we collectively think is the right thing can be consistent.

My next release of my Gopher client will follow this rule AND will have a UI to get the current page’s gopher URL.

Peter

Sent from Mail for Windows 10