Re: Questions about URLs for Gopher search items

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 09:54:25AM -0700, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

> > * The Floodgap Gopher-HTTP proxy also asks me to enter parameters.
>
> Thanks for spotting this, it's a regression from an anti-XSS overhaul I did
> a few months ago. Fixed.

Thanks for the speedy fix!

> I think using 1 is the cleaner solution, but I believe strongly in Postel's
> law and I have tried to have the clients I maintain accept both.

This sounds sensible.  I may end up tweaking VF-1 to produce item type 1
in the output of its `url` command, but to accept either as arguments to
the `go` command.

> > The majority of clients cannot correctly navigate to RFC 4266 style URLs
> > with search terms in them.  The best known and most widely used Gopher
> > search engine, if you submit a query to it using a tab in the selector,
> > will feed you a result directory where the "Back to the beginning" etc.
> > links have item type 1 and use the alternative CGI syntax - perhaps
> > precisely because doing it the other way confuses many clients?
>
> Pretty much that.

As I expected.  Certainly not what "well explored territory" looks like,
IMHO. :)

Cheers,
Solderpunk