Re: Confused about item-type for PDF files

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 10:35:57AM +0100, peter garner wrote:
Hi List, My gopher server (running gophernicus) has a wide selection of files but very few are in TXT format: I mainly collect PDFs instead as these are more easily available. However, experimenting with a number of clients recently has highlighted some confusion on my part as to which item-type to use for PDF: up until recently I've used "P", and the clients I used seemed to handle these correctly. If I use the gophernicus-recommended item-type of "d" (d document file (ps, pdf, doc etc)) it breaks the original UMN gopher client. I know that rfc1436 has no mention of PDF format, and that binary files should be type "9". I anyone else serving PDFs, and if so, which item- type are you using?
Hi, Type 9 is correct and the best standardized type for it. RFC1436: https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1436.txt "3.8 Item type characters [...] Characters '0' through 'Z' are reserved." So my understanding is using type 'd' is OK, but undefined. Using type 'P' is invalid, because reserved.

Thanks all, it looks like I'll be changing to a type 9 - this makes
more sense as it puts the onus onb the client to know what to do
with the file.