Re: Setting default server

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018, Christoph Lohmann wrote:

Greetings.

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 14:40:32 +0100 David Griffith <dave@661.org> wrote:

In the standard gopher client's manpage is this:

 	The [hostname] of a gopher server may be specified at startup; if
 	omitted, the default server for your site is used.  You may also
 	specify a URL (Uniform Resource Locator) for this argument.

However, I find no description of how to set the default server in
anywhere in the manpages or source code to the gopher client.

Also, going through the source code, it looks like if I start the client
with no parameters, I should see gopherproject.org/Software/Gopher, but
instead I get "Nothing available" and then "gopher: Nothing received for
main menu, can't continue".

What am I missing?

Use sacc(1) instead, which gives you freedom.

I have added a workaround at /Software/Gopher to present the gopher+ re‐
direct in geomyidae now too. You should be redirected to the root of go‐
pherproject.org  now.  gopher(1)  was sending no hint of expecting a go‐
pher+ reply when requesting its default host. The default host  is  com‐
piled into the kernel. If you recompile just use some alternative gopher
client.

What is the workaround you added? Is there still a way to set the default page in $HOME/.gopherrc or /etc/gopherrc?

--
David Griffith
dave@661.org