Re: Hey-Hoy!

I've written a Gopher Server wrapper for Oddmuse and use it for my personal wiki. [1]
Then I got interested in adding a TLS layer and did that, so this should also work. [2]
I needed some clients to test it, so I added TLS to the Emacs Gopher client. [3]
Right now this branch only does everything using TLS, there is no switching back and forth.
I would have liked to work on that, but then I saw a new command-line client written in Python. [4]
I added TLS to VF-1. Basically users get a switch "all connections are unencrypted" or "all connections are encrypted." [5]
But I should go back to the Emacs Gopher client and add such a switch, too.
I really wanted to find the Gophernicus sources but all I found was three or four year old sources on Github. [10]
I wanted to see whether the TLS I added to clients would work with other Gopher servers.

Then I got distracted by the idea of having a Wiki working over Gopher and I proposed a new "write" item which allows you to upload a file. [6]
I added that to VF-1, on a different branch. [7]
I added it to the Emacs Gopher client, too. [8]

There has been a lot of discussion of Gopher on Mastodon. [9]

[1] gopher://alexschroeder.ch:70
[2] gophers://alexschroeder.ch:7443
[3] https://github.com/kensanata/gopher.el/tree/ssl
[4] https://github.com/solderpunk/VF-1