Re: TLS in Gopher

> > Although I would prefer gopher+TLS have a categorical port and only be
> > accessible that way, I don't object to probing/upgrading, as long as the
> > client is smart about it.
>
> The idea of requiring a specific port number sounds like a complete hack.
>
> Instead, can you not just cache that STARTTLS was successful and then
> immediately attempt TLS handshake when you connect next time instead of
> doing the STARTTLS upgrade?

I'm not aware of any TLS wrapper that knows how to do this (it would require
a lot of wire-level work to be even possible), and I'm sure many non-TLS
servers would not respond favourably. With a categorical port, you know
exactly what you're connecting to and what it's expecting.

-- Eggheads unite! You have nothing to lose but your yolks. -- Adlai Stevenson