[gopher] Item Type Questions

So, I'm trying to write the 90% of a gopher client that can be in 'pure' web-usable javascript + DOM, in the hopes that there'll be a way to implement the other 90% in Mozilla's new extension framework soon. Over the course of my work, I've run into a couple questions I can't find an answer for:

1. Is item type 3 supposed to be interpreted as a link, or text like i?
2. What is actually the difference between 5 ('dos file') and 9 ('binary file')? Is it just a vague hint on what the binary might be used for? 3. Are there any item types other than i, h, and the ones in RFC1436 in common use I should be aware of? 4. Are CSO servers common enough that supporting them should be a priority? Where is the protocol specified? Is there a specified (or unspecified but commonly understood by clients) URL scheme for them? I'm already translating stuff like 8 and T into URLs, adding another would be easy.