[gopher] Future of this mailing list

Hi all,

The Debian project is in the process of deprecating [1] the
alioth.debian.org service, which hosts this mailing list.

There are several options we could pursue:

1) Migration to lists.debian.org

2) Migration to Google Groups

3) Migration to some other service (which?)

I will be happy to facilitate any of these, including getting subscriber
lists migrated.

First, on option #1:

At link [1], it goes into a bit of detail on the requirements.  I think
I can justify this.  The one difference is that the list is not allowed
to be moderated.  This list is only moderated because of a spam
problem.  lists.debian.org is much better about spam filtering, so I
wouldn't worry about that.  One thing to consider, though, is whether
this would falsely imply a Debian-centric nature to the project even
more than being hosted on Alioth does.

lists.debian.org is very well-maintained and is managed by humans that
are reachable.

On Option 2, there are all the pros and cons of Google Groups that most
people are aware of.  On the pro (or possibly con) side, it is easy for
people to participate via a web interface.  Google also is a very large
company.  On the con side, Google Groups has been one of the "forgotten
services" of Google for many years now, and continues to receive very
little attention.  There is no human available to help when things go
wrong.  Google has a history of canceling things that they've
under-invested in, so that may be a future issue here.  That said, a
local Linux users group has been hosted there for some time without
issue.

On Option 3, I think we would just want to make sure that whatever we
find isn't run just by a single person -- in other words, no single
point of failure.

Thoughts?

John

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth#Mailing_lists