Re: [gopher] Future of this list, etc.

On 10/10/2017 17:57, Nuno Silva wrote:
But a question: do you happen to know where is this blocking coming from
in Britain? Any chance it's the local MPAA and RIAA-like organizations
who suggest adding servers like Eternal September to the list, and that
ISPs can't do anything even if they disagree?
ISPs don't have to block anything they don't want to unless specifically ordered to by the courts. Of course that's not to say they won't use someone else's list that blocks things with a broad brush because they're lazy and can't be bothered having to argue!

I wonder do they just block all traffic on port 119/563? eternal-september and aioe both accept connections on port 80 and 443 presumably to get around such blocks. Or perhaps they falsify the response in their DNS server.

I think providers should be banned from advertising their service as internet if they block ports at the firewall. Rebrand them as FSPs or "Facebook service providers"

Alistair.