[gopher] Problem reading files on gopher site

I have a gophernicus 2.5 based site set up on a Debian 9.1 server.

I can view the site and select links to other sites using lynx or Firefox with overbite.

However, I am unable to read/download text files that are within the /var/gopher directory. The browser indicates "connecting...." and ultimately times out.

Could this be an iptables firewall issue?

Thank you from a gopher neophyte.
v/r
Jeff

If this is the wrong place to ask this type of question, I apologize.