Re: [gopher] bandwidth overhead for gopher

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 2:20 AM, Kim Holviala <kim@holviala.com> wrote:
True, but because Gopher doesn’t have any metadata the client cannot ask for, and cannot know if the reply is compressed or not. Gophernicus for example can easily be configured to gzip everything on the fly… but no gopher client will ever be able to understand what the hell is happening.

Future clients or client modifications *can* by first reading /caps.txt
of some attribute for servers that support "on the fly compression".
(If we want this we should open a new thread)

cheers
James