Re: [gopher] Question

I'm sorry Kim but that's not a good explanation to someone who knows HTTP server. These days most HTTP servers including Apache provide directory views.

Here is my personal distinction and why I like using Gopher. Gopher is more similar to FTP than it is to HTTP. Gopher is like a power user's FTP server. Where FTP falls flat, gopher shines. FTP cannot perform database queries, remote searches, run server-side code, or accept input from the user. Sure a custom built FTP server could be made to query a database, but it cannot request a string of text from the user.

Gopher is also vastly more lightweight than the likes of HTTP. Gopher doesn't use headers or content types. Gopher is overall a much simpler protocol to implement and can be used to say fetch lightweight status reports and logs from a server. I use Gopher to view server logs without needing to configure and run either a full fledged HTTP or FTP server. And since there are clients on mobile, it's a cinch to read this info.

To me, Gopher still has it's place and I feel it's way under used for what it can do in this day and age.