Re: [gopher] History and future of "the gopher project"

> > Although I respect (and in some ways wouldn't mind) a central planning
> > process for Gopher, I think that makes what is for many of us a fun sideline
> > unnecessarily bureaucratic.
>
> This is a good point: bureaucracy shouldn't evolve!
> But what could be bureaucratic? People could work/play on as they used to do.

In that case, what would such a central approach solve? Perhaps I don't
understand clearly what you're proposing. It sounded like a W3C-like
consortium, and I think the W3C's drawbacks have become rather apparent.

Based on this,

> What could be constraining and for whom?
> For example: If there was a guide on how to setup Bucktooth which(the guide)
> has been developed and was maintained by "the gopher project" anyone could
> write h[is|er] own guide or propose changes or whatever. In which way could
> this be constaining?

It seems more like you're actually proposing a central resource or repository
for this data, which doesn't really need anyone's permission ...