Re: [gopher] RFC submission?

On 01/03/2015 10:14 AM, Nuno Silva wrote:
a) We have no way to convert all the gopherspace to utf8, assuming utf8
in some clients will probably break compatibility with older gopherholes

That's why I suggested a CAPS capability for declaring server's encoding a few days ago. There is already a good number of gopherholes using utf8, so it's not really something 'new', but unfortunately gopher clients don't have much chance to identify the encoding used by a server (other than guessing).

Just one image itemtype makes no sense, as there are different image
formats.

There are plenty of sound formats, too, and still, only one gopher type ('s'). I see the gopher types as a way of saying more or less what kind of media to expect (text, document, image, video....), not necessarily an indication of the exact file format. But anyway, we are talking here about two itemtypes for images ('g' and 'I'), I don't really think it's worth the trouble changing that. By now, everyone got used to this already.

Mateusz