Re: [gopher] [Gopher Clients]: Chrome Extension

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 16:41:08 -0800 (PST)
Cameron Kaiser <spectre@floodgap.com> wrote:

> > Does anyone know any details about what's broken about the Google Chrome
> > Extension and what work needs to be done to it? I would be interested in
> > having a go
> > if I knew what was wrong with it :)
>
> (You don't need to cc me, I read this list.)
>
> The chief problem was the major change in permissions and the manifest with
> Chrome 24. It may not be complex to fix, but I don't use Chrome personally
> for philosophical reasons, and it became more of a headache to maintain
> especially since I never used it (and I have a somewhat solid rule not to
> maintain software packages I don't use myself).

Just wanted to point out that I don't use Chrome myself, although I do
have a Google account, namely for the sake of my Android phone.  My
browser of choice is usual Firefox.  Anyways, thought I'd shot that out
there.

> Realistically it should be rewritten anyway. There are now apparently ways
> to get a raw TCP socket in Chrome with appropriate permissions, and that
> would be much better than the hacky proxy forwarding method it uses now.

This sounds like a really neat feature in Chrome, I assume Firefox
extensions already have direct port access.  The networking part of the
Firefox add-on was somewhat complex to read for a first time Firefox
extension reader like myself.

> --
> ------------------------------------ personal: http://www.cameronkaiser.com/ --
>   Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@floodgap.com