Re: [gopher] Hello Gopher Project

> > The md upgrade of Overbite for Android, while very respectable, might
> > not be the best example of 'why md could be relevant', since Overbite
> > was already supporting html rendering, giving much more flexibility than
> > what md can provide.
> >
> > What kind of browser do we have out there, that do not support html, but
> > could be realistically upgraded with markdown support other than
> > 'display it as text'?
>

> If github's markdown is close to plain text (at least this is the idea
> I've got from the couple times I touched markdown documents), I'd rather
> serve it as plain text than make markdown files unreadable by clients
> which can't render markdown.
>
> I've got the idea (but I may be wrong here) that there were several, not
> exactly compatible, versions of markdown.

I'm not sure of their intercompatibility, but this was one of the things
I was concerned about. I don't really want to be maintaining a Markdown
parser on top of a gopher client.

I like the Markdown concept, mind you, and if someone's system can handle
Markdown (such as through an addon), I think it's a reasonable thing to
support as long as it degrades gracefully on other systems. I'm not sure
I'd like to burn an item type on it, however, especially since it displays
just fine as 0 (perhaps clients supporting it can offer a toggle).

-- FORTUNE: Today is an excellent day to have a totally rotten day. -----------