Re: [gopher] Hello Gopher Project

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM, Kevin Veroneau <kevin@veroneau.net> wrote:
  Okay, so now for some interesting news that may make some cringe.  I
was told by some sources that this is the place to go if I want to
discuss additions to the "Gopher Protocol" standard.  Well, this
evening, I built a proof of concept new Gopher type.  I am really
hoping that we can all work together to make this the newest Gopher
type in years!  This new Gopher type fits Gopher so well that it would
be stupid to not include it in the Gopher standard for for clients to
actually support it.  Have you ever heard of this little markup
language called "Markdown"?  It's a very simple, but powerful markup,
and it's used on lots of programming and documentation websites.  If
you use GIT, then you most likely store your README file in Markdown
format.  Wouldn't this format fit in with Gopher's overall goal?
Markdown is very lightweight, and looks good with or without being
processed.  I see some Gopherholes trying to use HTML, and I'm like...
REALLY!!!  Markdown would suit these types of documents better,
especially when it comes to text-based or low end device clients.
Markdown has the advantage of looking great, but still takes little
bandwidth and looks nice in plain text too.

Kevin,

What exactly are you proposing here for the protocol?
(Bare in mind I"m new -- But I'm pretty familiar with the RFC)

It would seem to me that we just need another type?

md -- Markdown (tells the client to render as Markdown)

cheers
James