Re: [gopher] Overbite: should the default for clicks be inline view?

On 02/25/2012 10:54 AM, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

> I think I didn't communicate this clearly. There are three parts to an
> Overbite menu entry: the + sign (on supported item types), the menu icon
> (document, folder, etc.), and the selector display string. Currently,
> if you click the icon or the display string, the browser goes to that
> document, and the inline expansion occurs when you click +.

Okay here's my [personal] prefs :)

> The proposals are:
> - Leave it alone

2nd best

> - Clicking on the + or the display string inserts the document inline, and
>   clicking the menu item icon goes to that document.

Okay I think I get it. The "menu item" IS the icon LOL. I *think* this
would be my 3rd choice, since I liken display strings to URLs in
browsers. I also think that most people would expect that clicking on a
display string would take them to another place - much like an <a
href="http://host.sld.tld";>blahblah</a> would.

> - Clicking on the + or the *icon* inserts the document inline, and clicking
>   the display string goes to the document.

My 1st best preference

> The reason I was thinking of altering this is to try to emphasize the
> hierarchicality of gopher menus more by more heavily leveraging inline
> view unless people find this unacceptably distracting.

Now, having said all of that, there are some things that don't behave as
one (actually, I was only talking about myself) might expect - at least
not how I first expected. This is in regards to VISHNU, which I have
universally adopted across my entire gopherhole instead of the old
Veronica behaviour.

I didn't see a reason to offer both when one is clearly the intended
search engine behaviour you were moving towards, so I adopted it and
support it only on my pages (even though you state[d] the VISHNU format
was in beta, last time I checked ;)

Here's a screenie of my home page, and the way I deal with the behaviour
of Veronica 2 menus:

http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/d4oz84wi/gopherdoc_sample.png

If you're changing anything that will require me to change the copy on
my pages pls lemme know and I'll make the neccessary adjustments :)

Kindest regards,

- --
Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services