Re: [gopher] Overbite: should the default for clicks be inline view?

On 02/25/2012 09:50 AM, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

>>> Personaly I found the inlineing a bit confusing, would it be possible to
>>> have a sort of configuration option to select either behaviour ?
>>
>> Okay I have to ask. What do we mean by "Inline view"?
>>
>> Are we talking about the little plus sign icons to the left of the
>> selectors where we have a choice of expanding say, a text file on that
>> page or clicking on the selector itself to take us to the document itself?
>>
>> If that's so, then aren't we doing *both* right now?
>
> Yes. What I was considering doing is making the selector do the open-in-line
> also, and only have the icon switch to the new document.

Okay. Well here's my take on that....

I kind of expect, that when I click on a link, it open's a new page, for
lack of a better term (takes me to the doc, next menu/page, image, or
downloads the binfile).

If I see a plus sign, I rather expect it to *expand*, on that page,
whatever it is that the selector (link) points to.

Okay, I only run wYNd0z3 nowadays to run vSphere clients, or my vCenter
servers. Beyond that I have absolutely no use for it (other than to
support it in the field).

The behaviour I describe above is much like the installation procedure
in windows apps (and if I recall correctly, Netbeans), where the user
can customize what components get installed by expanding with the plus
sign and then selecting or de-selecting installable components.

I think you're suggesting the reverse of that behavior, if I'm not mistaken.

gopher is a little different than HTTP, since it's possible to burrow
your way off into gopherspace and lose track of how you got there
(because choosing a selector might take to a completely different gopher
server without the surfer being aware of it unless they're paying
attention to the URI's in the address bar of the browser), and I gather
you're attempting to address this issue in some fashion.

But hey! Either way you decide to do it Cameron is okay, because in the
end we simply adapt. Right?

Kindest regards,

- --
Bradley D. Thornton