Re: [gopher] Line terminators in Gopher transactions

On 22/05/2012 04:21, Kim Holviala wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012, 05:49:55 EEST, Kim Holviala<kim@holviala.com>  wrote:

Traditionally all TCP protocols have used CRLF as the line ending. Major
pain in the ass for both clients and servers, but such is life.

The CRLF comes from the original printer meaning of those two ASCII codes: Carriage Return and Line Feed. If you wanted to be at the start of the next line, you needed both.

Indeed, this is one of those rare times where windows gets something right over unix - using LF on its own is a shorthand for CRLF. Since there's no control code for "CR+LF" in ASCII you should send both.

I can't really see how saving one byte per line is worth all the extra confusion but this is the system history has burdened us with so we just have to manage :)

Line ending detection/correction is trivial to add to a client anyway so it's just something you have to take into account.