Re: [gopher] Correct error handling

On 2012-05-11, Kim Holviala wrote:

> On 11.5.2012 15:48, Damien Carol wrote:
>
>> Yes, your solution is good.
>> Maybe we can check that every server and proxy handle error like this.
>
> Think about what you just said.... and I mean, really, think about it.
>
> Nevergonnahappen.
>
> You cannot change existing clients or servers, ever. Whatever you plan
> *has* to work with existing infrastructure.
>
> This is the best I was able to come up with:
>
> gopher://gophernicus.org/0/foobar.txt
> gopher://gophernicus.org/1/foobar/
> gopher://gophernicus.org/h/foobar.html
> gopher://gophernicus.org/g/foobar.gif
>
> None of those really exist, of course. Here the server is trying to
> guess what the client wanted and presents the error accordingly. Not
> foolproof at all, but it kinda works.

Nice approach!

There are (were? sdf-eu.org had one) some servers around which repeat
the selector type, so your examples would become:

  gopher://gophernicus.org/00/foobar.txt
  gopher://gophernicus.org/11/foobar/
  gopher://gophernicus.org/hh/foobar.html
  gopher://gophernicus.org/gg/foobar.gif

That is, the item type was part of the selector itself, and the server
would get the item type as part of the request.

I wonder if this was added to these servers with that in mind. It's at
least a way to help getting type-dependent error messages.

The problem, of course, would be if someone asked for a selector without
the repeated item type...

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg