Re: [gopher] Why do you use gopher?

On 05/07/2012 01:08 PM, Dennis Schulmeister wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The last discussion has probably drifted a bit away. But an
> interesting question has come up. How do you use gopher and why?

I use gopher in commercial production, for software distribution,
patches, package management and archival. We don't provide a parallel in
HTTP - there's no need, but others on this list (you know who you are)
did indeed sway me from blocking access to HTTP==>Gopher proxies so the
TBs of software are actually in fact reachable via http as well.

That last point was a real stickler for me. Why have access via a
particular, and IMO preferable (dare I say superior?) protocol that we
can isolate and monitor on a single port and NOT block access via
proxies that allow these resources to be reached via other protocols?

That question still stands, yet (and again, you all know who you are
LOL) my friends here on this list have - at least for the foreseeable
future - persuaded me not to block any proxies.

If there are any shortcomings to this approach that have affected these
decisions, they are really only two that come to mind immediately:

1.) The drop of native gopher support in Firefox (but there is still
OverBite ;) ), and the lack of support in Chrom[e|ium].

2.) Oh how I wish there was gopher support in wget. But alas, it is what
it is and lynx works just as good, although a couple of extra arguments
are required.

If there's one or more things I would like to see happening here... Well
LOL, they're already happening actually. And though many of the newer
advancements we're shuffling about might seem simple and trivial enough
(like the several different implementations of the "What's my IP", that
many have developed in different ways), such are the building blocks of
even more significant advances in data communications.

Great work guys!!! :)

Oh, and...

It may or may not be premature to be talking about an RFC draft at this
point, but certainly, the discussion spawned from the topic is serving
to reign in and formalize the conventions by which we continue
development of the protocol....

That having been said, a very significant thing is also happening here.
Gopher usage is growing, its usage, although not having achieved
critical mass yet again, is on the rise. It's usefulness and relevance
is becoming obvious to more people, and it is definitely evolving in a
manner that serves current needs.

This is a good thing, and what's more, we're already assured of our
place in /etc/services so we have already (Admittedly, by virtue of
inheritance) overcome the greatest obstacles of widespread adoption ;)

Kindest regards,

- --
Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services