Re: [gopher] What's my IP address in gopher!

On 2012-05-06, Wesley Teal wrote:

> The problem with trying to make a gopher site rfc 1436 compliant is
> that almost no gopher site is rfc 1436 compliant. Gopher as it is used
> today has been extended in several ways. This isn't 1993, after all.

After all, it seems that not even the "official" UMN client is rfc
1436-compliant.

> Something I'd like to see happen is to get a new standard drafted, not
> one that introduces new changes, but one that acknowledges the de
> facto changes to gopher so that people don't have to dig around a wide
> array of documents looking for how to use URL links and what item type
> goes with video or audio or pdfs. A  Gopher 1.1, not 2.0.

It should at least be clear whether to expect a period or not at the end
of some transfers, and to have an up-to-date set of itemtypes.

Now, anyone has an idea if it's hard to get the IETF to accept a new
gopher RFC?

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg